Kelly Products, Inc. began in 1993 with two goals: produce a more efficient formulation and distribution system for plant protection products; and create software to streamline the product registration process. The company’s innovative spirit led to the building of 13 businesses and brands, including:
- Kelly Packaging, manufacturer of Sevin® Dust
- Contract Packaging, manufacturing services for formulation, packaging and distribution, etc.
- Kelly Registration Systems, offering licensing and registration software
- Great Estates Landscaping, residential and commercial landscaping business
- Christmas Décor by Great Estates, season-specific landscaping décor and lighting services
- Farmview Market, a specialty grocery
- Kelly Farm Operations, farming grass-fed cattle, hogs, heirloom corn and commercial crops
- Kelly Outdoor Products Group
- EST, LLC/C’Mere Deer, a manufacturer of deer attractants
- Arrow Dynamics/Swhacker, a provider of broadhead arrowheads
- TAC Vanes, a manufacturer of archery vanes
- AJC Precision, a provider of custom fabrication
Two years after starting its initial business in 1993, Kelly Products implemented an ERP, says Corey Wynn, Information Technology Manager. As new divisions were started, new instances of the ERP were purchased. They weren’t connected, and were being managed by different people among the various businesses.
“The biggest challenge was that there was no cross over between the companies,” he says. “Different people set up things differently for each business, which made it difficult when someone was out. Someone else has to go into that business system, who was often unfamiliar with that business system’s coding and transaction process.”
Tracking inter-company transfers was also a challenge. Many transfers between businesses were paper-based and physically mailed from one company to another. Then they had to be entered into the proper company’s system. This held up monthly reporting and increased chances for manual-entry errors.
With its ERP solution nearing the end of its life, Kelly Products began looking for a new software solution.